It is imperative drivers do all they can to avoid driving under the influence so they do not put other lives in danger. Many states are now cracking down on DWI defendants and making sure the penalties are stiff enough it will discourage others from committing the crime. Unfortunately, mistakes are sometimes made and defendants find themselves facing charges for DWI. When a driver is charged, it is imperative they seek help from a DWI Attorney in Jefferson County MO.
Those who have been charged first need to know what kind of penalties they could be facing:
* When a driver is arrested for a DWI in the state of Missouri, they will automatically have their license suspended. They will have fifteen days to contest the suspension to see if they can keep their license.
The defendant will face up to six months in jail if they are convicted of a DWI. A DWI Attorney in Jefferson County MO can sometimes help to reduce sentencing so a defendant does not have to face jail time.
* Those found guilty can be charged up to $500 in fees by the court.
* The court may order a defendant to enter alcohol treatment if they are found guilty.
* In some cases, the court may require the defendant to have an Interlock device installed in their car. This device locks the car’s ignition and requires the driver to take a breath test to make sure they have not been drinking and are not past the legal limit.
* Multiple offenses can lead to greater penalties and eventually, the permanent loss of a driver’s license.
Those who are facing DWI charges need to make sure they meet with an attorney as soon as possible. Attempting to face charges without legal help can end up in an unfavorable outcome. Often, an attorney can lessen the impact a conviction will cause on a person’s life.
If you have been arrested for DWI, you need to be aware of the rights you hold and what you can do to protect them. For further information on how an attorney can help you, Visit the website. They will help you through the entire process.