When someone slips, falls and is injured, it’s no laughing matter. Every day, about 55 people will die as a result of a fall. Only car crashes are responsible for more deaths and disabling injuries than falls, states an Accident Lawyer in Terre Haute IN.
The Statistics are Startling
* More than one-half million people go to emergency rooms every year after a fall.
* 300,000 of those people will receive a disabling injury.
* Falling is responsible for more deaths to workers than all other types of workplace accidents combined.
* Slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of injuries in public buildings, restaurants and hotels.
* The costs of falls are enormous. Worker’s Compensation claims alone amount to almost $2 billion per year.
* Every day, $100 million is spent on fall-related expenses.
* On average, a slip and fall accident will result in over $22,000 in costs.
* Seniors are particularly vulnerable. One in three seniors with a serious broken bone will die within a year of the fall.
* Most slip and fall accidents happen when someone is walking on a flat surface.
* The leading cause of disabling traumatic brain injuries are falls.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
There are many possible reasons for a slip and fall accident. Some of the most frequently seen include the following.
* Wet, damp or slippery floors. Non-slip treatments help, but must be maintained.
* The type of flooring used accounts for 50% of the accidents in public or commercial buildings.
* Clutter in walkways is responsible for many falls.
* Poor maintenance, such no burned-out light bulbs or torn carpet on stairs, causes falls.
* Cracked sidewalks or uneven or icy parking lots are hazardous.
Few people have the power to change the flooring in the store or ensure that the sidewalk is fixed today. Here are a few simple tips for staying on your feet and out of the ER.
* Older people, especially, need to wear sensible shoes. High heels and ice don’t mix for anyone.
* Some medications make people dizzy.
* Many falls happen at home; loose rugs and clutter are particularly hazardous.
* Inadequate lighting is dangerous.
* Expect slippery floors on rainy days and be cautious.
Many slip and fall accidents are the results of someone’s negligence. If you’ve been seriously injured in a fall, discuss your legal options with Dan McGlone, an experienced Accident Lawyer in Terre Haute IN. Contact McGlone Law today to schedule a free consultation.